Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

In God's Hands

The past couple weeks I have really been thinking about what a great mission God has called me to. Sometimes I feel like I'm not doing much. My recent prayer and mindset have just been to give it to God and tell Him that it's up to Him to make this ministry effective. In other words, I'm trying to just put myself on campus and then let God handle it from there. After all, He knows what the students of UMD need better than I do. Therefore, it seems to make sense that I would just put my desire to share the Gospel in His hands. So here are some fun stories of how God has responded:

Yesterday, we had RCIA/Catholicism 101 at Newman. This is a class for those who are considering entering the Catholic Church and those who just want to learn more about what the Church teaches. It was our 2nd week and again I was super impressed with the attendance! There are several students who are thinking about getting confirmed this Easter. I'm attending the classes because my disciple Kelly asked me to sponsor her when she is confirmed! I'm super honored.

Anyway, another wonderful girl I know from my athletes bible study went on our First Timers Retreat last weekend and has been coming to the classes as well. She also is going to be confirmed at Easter. Here is a proof of her determination to grow in her relationship with God: she came to class last night on her 21st birthday! I don't know about you, but most students I know would spend their 21st out at the bar. It was such a great witness to see Nicole choosing her faith!

Another story would be in regards to the power of prayer. I have had a couple times where God has very directly answered my prayers. The first was last week. I met a student at the campus coffee shop when she generously shared her table with me (there is only one coffee shop on campus, so tables are a hot commodity). We chatted for a few minutes until she left for work. I prayed the next two days for an opportunity to run into her again (as we had not exchanged numbers). Sure enough, Friday morning she showed up at the off-campus cafe where Shannon and I were for discipleship! Crazy!

Then, this morning, our team spent time doing intercessory prayer. Basically, we took time to be in the chapel and pray outloud for specific students we are meeting with through bible studies and other activities. I spent time specifically asking for the athletes I have been meeting to be willing to make time for bible study. When I left the chapel, I had a text from a girl on the soccer team, asking if we could hang out this weekend. We're getting dinner Sunday! Prayers really do get answered.

I'm not saying I'm perfect at being a missionary. But, I think with time I am learning. For now though, it's time to do some work on SEEK2013 (our upcoming national conference in Orlando!!) However, I am at the coffee shop on campus... so maybe God has other plans for my afternoon. I'll be sure to update if that is the case!


1 comment:

  1. Great to read these posts, Kristen! I am proud of you and your steadfast pursuit of God and his mission for you! Good luck and take care.

    ReplyDelete