Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Weekend Home

with friends before the game
This past weekend I was blessed to be able to take some time to be home in Fargo. It was a pretty packed weekend, full of seeing friends, spending time on campus, and cheering the Bison football team to victory over Southern Illinois. The weekend flew by so fast that it wasn't until I was back in my car for the 4 1/2 hour drive to Duluth on Sunday that I realized how much more I wish I could have done.

Perhaps the best part about the weekend was just being home. There is just something about being in my hometown and at the university where Christ pursued my heart that I really needed. It is incredible for me to think of how far I have come in my personal relationship with Jesus, and all of the incredible people He has brought into my life since I first began my time at NDSU over four years ago. I realized that as much as I love being here in Duluth and being a FOCUS missionary, Fargo is still home, it's still where my faith really became real for me. And the friends I have there are some that I will have for the rest of my life. What a great gift from God the weekend was.

with some girls from my NDSU bible study
It was super hard to leave on Sunday, but as I crossed that state line and merged onto Hwy 10, I realized something really beautiful about my Catholic faith: it truly gives me hope! Goodbyes (or "see you laters") are hard. But, God promises that if we are faithful to Him, then someday we will no longer need to say goodbye. We will be with those we love forever in Heaven. And not only will those goodbyes be no more, but also all the pain, suffering, sickness, and sadness. Wow. What an incredible promise... and what hope it gives those of us who are God's children. And that is because Heaven is our true home.

So until God decides it's time for me to go home to Him, I am incredibly honored to serve Him here on earth as a missionary. Not only do I get to love Him and draw close to Him myself, but hopefully I can help others to discover His love and His invitation to them as well. Then someday we can all be home in Heaven. That Pintrest pin is so true when it gives the following definition:
missionary: someone who leaves their family for a short time
so that others can be with their family for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment