Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Peace Only Jesus Can Give

Today was a great reminder of why I need to spend time in Adoration whenever possible. I entered the beautiful Adoration chapel at my home parish with my mind racing today. Lately, I have been feeling the approach of the upcoming school year quite acutely and have been wondering how I will ever be ready when my students show up on August 21st. Add in finishing my online class, teaching Vacation Bible School, and planning a wedding and life just seems overwhelming! I spent the first part of my prayer simply distracted. Finally, I gave up my attempt at meditating on today's Gospel and opened my current prayer-time read: a book compiling various reflections on the saints from Pope Benedict XVI.

After reading what he had to say about St. Joseph and Mary's fiat at the Annunciation, a theme was beginning to develop.... simply do the task that God has given you. After all, that is what Mary and her spouse Joseph did to become saints... they simply and humbly did what God asked ("Be it done unto me according to your word.") As I came to this recognition, I noticed a deep peace fill my soul and a strange new confidence fill me... I'm going to be ready.

This summer has been one big lesson in letting God prepare me for the roles He has planned for me. Every day presents new challenges and opportunities to grow as a future teacher and wife. I am thrilled to begin my teaching career, and even more excited to begin my marriage to Devin. God has called me to these great roles... and He just needs a simple yes. He does all the rest. With Him, I know that I will be ready when those seventh graders show up in just a few weeks. And I know that everything will fall into place to make our wedding day a beautiful one. God won't have it any other way.

It's amazing what that prayer time did for my attitude. I headed off to Caribou (or as my mom would say, my office) this afternoon and was incredibly productive. My online class is no longer causing me stress. Preparing for school will be a breeze thanks to Pinterest (I don't know how teachers could do it otherwise). Once my confidence in my call to teach was lit, the ideas, hopes, and dreams for the year came faster than I could write them.

I know that there will be times when the world will shake my peace a little. But at least I know how to find it again - by simply saying yes to Jesus's invitation to just sit with Him. After all.... He has waited over 2000 years in the Eucharist just for me to be able to visit Him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment