Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

He Hears Me... Literally

Last week, I was running a little late to get to 5:15 mass after a day of babysitting. I had decided to return some library books, and found myself crunched on time in rush-hour traffic (yes... Fargo, ND has a rush hour). As I waited at yet another red light, I prayed: "Jesus, please help me be on time for Mass." The minutes continued to tick by as I approached each block closer to St. Anthony's. As I took my last turn, I again glanced at the clock: 5:13. And then I smiled. I would get there... literally on time. "Ok, Lord, a little early would also have worked.." I parked my car and got into the Church, joining Devin in the pew as the priest entered. Jesus got me there on time... with a literal answer to my quick prayer.

It's funny because just earlier that day I was reading the daily Gospel and marveling at the disbelief of Jesus' apostles. The Gospel was Matthew 8:23-27, where Jesus calms the storm at sea. The apostles wake Him in the midst of the storm: "Lord, save us! We are perishing!" And then, just a few verses later, after Jesus has done what they asked, they are "amazed" and say: "What sort of man is this, whom even the winds and the sea obey?" Um... hello apostles... you're the ones who woke Jesus and asked Him to save you... why are you so surprised that He was able to do what you asked?

I think that sometimes we are like the apostles. We ask God for something in prayer and then, when He does just what we asked, we are confused. How did He do that? We, like the apostles, have "little faith." We pray, but we don't actually believe that God hears us or will actually respond. But if God truly loves us as His children... why wouldn't He? And if God is really all-powerful, why do we doubt His ability to intervene?

In addition to sometimes being surprised that God actually hears and answers us, I think we can also fall into the trap of letting our little faith prevent us from ever even asking for what we consider to be impossible. Whether it's for the conversion or healing of someone we love, or something as small as God sending us the song we need while using our iPod on a run, we don't ask for things because we don't really believe that God could do that. 

Lately, I've been trying to expand my faith and trust that "with God, all things are possible." I've been praying for what others may declare to be impossible, knowing that God might have a different way to answer my prayer than I expect, but placing my desire for these miracles in His hands anyway. Regardless of the outcome, I can already see that praying in this way is increasing my faith and God has already responded to these prayers in some big ways, more than just maneuvering traffic so I get to Mass on time. I invite you to do the same, right now. Ask God for something that you consider out of His hands, or too big for Him. And then be at peace, knowing that He will answer your prayer in the way (and time) that He knows is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment