Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Why I love Leading my Athlete's Bible Study

Last year, God had placed it on my heart to try starting an all-athlete women's bible study at UMD. At first, it was a little rough to meet athletes and have them be committed to coming to bible study. But I was convinced that God wanted me to do it - so I stuck with it. Today, I am thankful that I did. I wanted to just share the graces that are why I love leading this bible study, especially after a fantastic study on trust last night:

1. The Women: are amazing! I have been blessed now to have 2 volleyball women, 4 basketball, and 2 track join my study. These women inspire me. They not only pursue excellence in their sport and academics, but also in bible study. Their openness in sharing their struggles and successes in following Christ is amazing and their dedication and appreciation of bible study is truly inspiring. I am so thankful for having met each one of them. 

2. The Prayer: This semester, we are taking 10 minutes each week to pray with Scripture as a part of study. Not only does God teach me something amazing, but He also is truly at work in the minds and hearts of each woman present. I love hearing what they have been inspired with. Last night, we even started having the ladies take turns closing in prayer! I'm excited for them to grow in their confidence in prayer with others and leading others to Christ. 

3. The Games: Part of leading these women is also watching them compete - and I love it! I've always loved sports, and knowing these ladies gives me a reason to not just be a Bulldogs fan, but to support and encourage the athletes I know. I will gladly support them in the stands at as many home games as I can and love them win or lose. 

4. The Trust: Through the rough start last fall with this study, God has taught me to trust Him. Additionally, last night during our prayer time at bible study, I realized I still have a long road ahead of learning this trust. While meditating on Matthew 6:25-34, I realized I often have a mindset of a non-believer, rather than truly letting my trust in God's love be my default reaction to stressors in life. It was a great wake-up call to continue to trust more.

5. The Humility: Through our discussions, I'm constantly humbled because these women teach me so much - and I'm supposedly the leader! It is refreshing to remember that just because I plan Bible study and communicate plans to everyone, I still can learn a lot from each of these women. Sometimes I think I'm learning more than they are! 

I am so thankful for these women, their love of Christ, and their willingness to carve out an hour each week to spend a little time with me growing as sisters in Christ together. Wednesday nights are definitely a highlight of my week and I hope this post encourages other leaders to view their bible studies with deep gratitude and joy as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment