Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

God at Work

Hm, been a while since I've written a post. It's hard to even know what to write about these past two weeks. Being a missionary allows me to witness so much beauty, so many amazing stories and conversions.

First of all, I get to hear and see how God is transforming lives here at UMD. Just this past week, I was blessed to hear that a student I've met has radically reoriented her priorities throughout the semester, to the point of moving out of her current not good living situation and coming with us to SEEK. I also got to hear multiple testimonies from our student leaders on Friday, including the full story of Christ's pursuit of my disciple Shannon. She has a beautiful story of discovering that true happiness comes from God and nowhere else.

Secondly, I get to work for the Kingdom that never ends. I recently read the book "The Way" by St. Josemaria Escriva (a gift from my wonderful friend Kelsey). In it, he points out that if you are on mission for Jesus, then you are working for a Kingdom with no end. That's a pretty awesome thing to strive for... to build up the Kingdom of God. And I get to be an "instrument for seeking instruments." God works through me to find others to also work for that never-ending Kingdom. That Kingdom has grown so much here at UMD this year, we have over 30 students in discipleship, over 30 bible studies on campus, and over 70 students going to SEEK2013 over break. Our chapel keeps overflowing at Thursday Mass n Meal. And it's all because Jesus is King....

Finally, I have realized in a profound way that God is working hard to mold me into a saint, into the best version of myself, through my yes to being a missionary. He wants me to be His. Wow. I belong to the King of the Kingdom. Despite all my past mistakes and all the times I ran away from Him, He has never given up on me. His love never would allow Him to. As great as it is to see Him working in the lives of others, sometimes it blows me away just considering how much He is working in my own life.

On a final, fun note, I recently had another of my "this is my job?!?!" moments. Friday night, I went with some students to Bentleyville, a large display of Christmas lights here in Duluth. When I say large, I mean largest in the Midwest. It was crazy. We walked by all the lights, spent time around a bonfire, and enjoyed free hot chocolate. As we were leaving, I realized that just spending time with these students, having fun, and sharing our faith in Christ... that's my job. What a blessing! God did not need me to be a missionary. He could have called me to pursue teaching right away after graduation. But, instead He chose to need me in the New Evangelization through FOCUS. He placed a burning desire within me to be a missionary and to serve Him in this way. And I am so glad He did.

at Bentleyville


1 comment:

  1. Gods blessings never end. It is a gift and a jou to be used by God for that eternal ministry. I just reflected once again on the gift of Reconciliation offered by God to all men and the personal gift that I am called to give that gift of forgiveness and mercy to His Church. I only wish that all people, especially all Christians would really understand this gift offered and the instruction/invitation of Jesus to confess our sins to one another. So many completely ignore this important truth out of pride, fear, ???

    P.S. Bentleyville is a fun place - we might get there this year as our family gathers at my sisters place south of Duluth.

    ReplyDelete