Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

To get tickets...

So anyone who knows me would probably tell you I'm a huge Bison football fan (see picture below). I missed only one home game last season and flew down to Texas to watch them take on Sam Houston State for the D1 Championship. This season has been a little rough, considering my FOCUS commitment has relocated me to Duluth, MN - not exactly within walking distance of the FargoDome as my former apartment was. But, I have been faithfully wearing yellow each Saturday, have found out how to watch or listen to games online, and have secured some football posters for my bedroom wall. After all, Once a Bison, Always a Bison.

at a Bison playoff game last winter
Last night, while walking to my athlete's bible study, I walked past a large line of camps. These camps weren't out in one of Duluth's many parks or along the North Shore, no they were along the hall leading to the Sports and Health Center on campus. Students were spending the night there, complete with their TVs, gaming systems, homework, Dominoes pizza, and other snacks and entertainment. All to be there at 8am this morning. Why? Student season hockey tickets of course!

My first thought when I saw this was: That's so ridiculous! They are spending all night for hockey tickets?!? But then I thought some more, and realized: That would have been me! Had NDSU sold season football tickets for the student section, there is not a doubt in my mind that I would have found myself with my friends in line all night as well. Maybe they aren't so crazy... or maybe I'm just crazy too.

I then started to think about the fact that each Sunday, Jesus Christ Himself is present on the campus of UMD. Two times each Sunday, He is there, offering His very Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity to these students. Why is there not a line leading upstairs to the Ballroom and Rafters, of students camped out to receive Jesus come Sunday morning? Hmm.

Now, just to clarify, I'm not saying that having a sports team you follow is bad. But, we do need to be careful that these teams don't get higher priority in our life than our relationship with God. As with anything in this life, it's all about finding that balance.

Back to the lack of a line on Saturday nights. Maybe the reason there isn't one is because these students just do not know. They do not realize the amazing gift being offered them in the Eucharist. And if that is so, then those of us who do know should probably tell them. And that's what we want to do as FOCUS missionaries and student missionaries. We want others to understand this gift and be willing to spend all night waiting just for a chance to receive our Lord in the Eucharist. It's a big task, but one I'm sure God will help us to accomplish. After all, our desire for Him comes from Him in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment